An election will be held on May 2, 2020 to elect a Mayor and Council members Place 1 and 4. The City contracts with Ellis County Elections and voters will be able to cast their ballot at any vote center location within the County. The Ferris Public Library located at 301 E. 10th Street is generally an Early Voting and Election Day vote center location.
The candidate filing period for a place on the ballot will be January 15, 2020 to February 14, 2020 with a declaration of write in candidacy through February 18, 2020.
Early Voting will be conducted between April 20, 2020 and April 28, 2020 at the designated vote center locations.
It is the responsibility and honor of the City Secretary's Office to conduct and oversee the City Council election process for the City of Ferris. Elections are conducted annually on the Uniform Election Day in May (the first Saturday in May.)
However, Texas Election laws regarding campaign finances and legal matters limit the role of the City Secretary’s Office to accepting and filing the various candidate applications, affidavits and statements and noting the date of filing.
Filing requirements are per state statute, available at Texas Secretary of State - Candidate Information, and those of the Election Code Section 141.001:
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be 18 years of age upon the commencement of the term to be filled at the election.
- Have been a resident of Texas for at least 12 months as of the deadline for filing for the office.
- Have resided in the city for at least 6 months as of the deadline for filing for the office.
- Not have been convicted of a felony for which he or she has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
- Not have been found mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court.